- 1 digital scale
- 1 bench knife
- 1 hobby knife or razor blade for scoring
- 1 cast iron dutch oven, the bigger the better
- 1 wood work surface (I use a 55x90cm piece of pine from the hardware store and put it up on the counter when I need it)
- 1 large mixing bowl (I use Ikea stainless salad bowls)
- 2 rising bowls (I use cheap 9″ hemispherical bowls from Daiso)
- 2 towels (Ikea dish towels work great)
- 2 round baskets for cooling (Daiso)
- an oven, obviously 😉
Levain (dough time – ~8h – I usually do this 10pm):
In small bowl, combine:
- 20g starter
- 125g water (room temp)
- 125g 50/50 white/whole wheat flour mix
Cover, let sit room temp 8-10 hours until bubbly.
Dough (bake time – 6h):
In a large bowl, combine:
- 865g bread flour
- 35g whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
In a separate bowl combine:
- 625g water (about 85F)
- all the levain (or save a tsp for new starter)
Mix well until no dry flour remains, cover and let sit for ~30min.
After 30min, add 20g salt, a splash of water, and mix well, by hand. (I wear a disposable glove to do this.) Squish every lump of unmixed dough and work the whole thing until it’s all the same consistency and starting to feel stretchy and soft. Alternatively do all this in a stand mixer.
Let sit in warm spot, fold every 30min for 2 hours, then another 1.5 hours rising until it’s expanded by 50% or so. The temperature makes a huge difference here, you want the spot to be a little warmer than standard room temperature if possible, but probably not up to 90F or it’ll expand too quickly.
Divide in half, form boules by folding and shaping.
Flip into bowls lined with towels and dusted with rice flour. Make sure to use enough rice flour or the towels will stick and ruin the loaves when you try to pull them off.
Put into fridge and let proof for another hour while you preheat the oven.
Preheat oven with dutch oven inside at 240C.
Flip dough onto parchment paper circle and score with razor blade, transfer into hot dutch oven and cover.
Bbake at 220C for 30m.
Remove cover, continue baking 220C for 25-30m.
Cool standing on end in round basket.